Kingdom Bank set for major expansion following acquisition by Christian investors

Kingdom Bank, which has been serving churches across the UK for over sixty years, has been bought by a group of Christian investors seeking to spark a significant expansion of the Bank’s activities.

Kingdom Bank, which has been serving churches across the UK for over sixty years, has been bought by a group of Christian investors seeking to spark a significant expansion of the Bank’s activities.

The largest new investor (35%) is leading Christian finance charity Stewardship. Stewardship is one of the largest Christian charities in the U.K. and has over 110 years of experience supporting churches and promoting generosity. The remaining 65% is owned by a small group of Christian philanthropists, including Jeremy Marshall. He has 35 years of banking experience, including being CEO of the U.K.’s oldest family-owned private bank, C Hoare and Co. Most of the other philanthropists have similar finance backgrounds; all are committed Christians wishing to use their expertise to help the Bank develop and grow. Following the acquisition, the current Board and staff will all be retained.

Nottingham-based Kingdom Bank is best described as a Christian bank. It takes deposits, on which it seeks to pay attractive rates of interest, and makes loans to churches, charities and Christian workers secured on property.

Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority, all deposits up to £85,000 are protected through the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.

Chris Sheldon, CEO of Kingdom Bank commented: “For sixty years Kingdom Bank has been helping churches to grow through its unique business model, including a level of personal service generally not offered by other financial institutions. Furthermore, depositors crucially know that all the money invested in Kingdom Bank is used for Kingdom work.

“Through the Bank’s regular newsletter depositors can hear about some of the projects their money supports. Borrowers have access to products designed for growing Church as well as mortgages for missionaries and Church workers receiving their income from personal support, rarely offered by other financial institutions with our level of understanding.

Stewardship’s Chair of Trustees, Simon Blake said: “The new team of investors sees a huge demand for a Christian bank right now. We want to strengthen Kingdom Bank’s Christian character by releasing it do more of what it already does so well – lending to churches, church plants, Christian charities and the pastors and workers who support them. We are confident the Bank’s personal, individual approach to all its customers will enable it to support them during the current difficult time.

Jeremy Marshall said “We are investing new capital into the Bank and are not planning to take any dividends in the short term. The first stage will be to introduce an online service and undertake a major new marketing and awareness campaign, so that churches, Christian charities and individual Christians may better understand the benefits of depositing with and borrowing from Kingdom Bank.

“We very much hope that, over the next few years, many more churches and church workers will appreciate how their various activities may be supported and expanded through linking with Kingdom Bank”.

Related articles

Good News Stories

Jacob’s Well Care Centre

When the building they rented suddenly went up for sale, Jacob’s Well Care Centre thought they would have no choice but to cut down on their staff, and the ways they serve their community. We spoke to Lorraine about how a Kingdom Bank mortgage has enabled them to buy the building, meaning they can continue and grow their work and ministries.

Read more

Jesus the Good Steward: Five ways to follow his example

The concept of stewardship holds a significant place within Christian theology. To be a good steward is to responsibly and faithfully manage all the resources entrusted to us by God. It lies at the heart of the command given to Adam and Eve in Genesis to be fruitful, subdue the earth and rule over everything. As God’s image bearers they were to reflect the heart of a benevolent God to the world in a caring and wise way (Genesis 1:26-28). It’s a charge that carries on to us.

Read more